What if you don’t give a gift and your date does? How awkward would it be if it were the other way around? What if your gift doesn’t strike the right chord? If neither of you give gifts is your burgeoning relationship doomed? ARGH!
We tend to agree with the majority of advice on this subject: Christmas is for giving and sharing, and a small token is a clear sign to your new date that you’ve valued your time with them.
From a plethora of suggestions from relationship experts and grateful recipients, we’ve come up with this list of suggestions of great ideas for new date gifts:
1. A nice card with something thoughtful and personal written inside. Don’t write volumes and don’t spill your heart out – just wish him or her a fabulous Christmas and let them know you’ll be thinking of them and looking forward to seeing them after the holidays.
2. Turn a date into a gift. If he or she has expressed an interest in a particular venue, new play, or trying a particular cuisine, create a date around it. They’ll know you’ve been listening and appreciate the thought that’s gone into it.
3. Make a free Spotify playlist. This is about as close to a mixtape as you’re going to get in the digital age, and who doesn’t love a mixtape? Put together a list of songs you think he or she would enjoy discovering, or on a theme that’s meaningful to the two of you, reflecting the dates you’ve had and their conversations.
4. Something small but personal. Think back over your dates. Is there a book, CD or something else your date has expressed an interest in? The value isn’t important; it’s the fact that you’ve paid such close attention that will mean the world.
5. The dater challenge. If you’re really stuck for ideas, here’s one final thought: let your date know that you’ve been struggling with knowing what to do about the Christmas gift debate (chances are they’re in the same boat). Challenge one another to find and bring to your next date the silliest, funniest or wackiest object they can find for the other at an agreed budget. It’s bound to inspire some ho-ho-hos!
Merry Christmas, Flame daters.
Wishing you all a happy holiday.
Your favourite London dating agency, The Flame Introductions team.